Touch typing courses for children with dyslexia
A recent study showed that there is no difference between children with dyslexia and those without, when work is typed, but a significant difference when children with dyslexia hand write their work. (TES 30/3/07).
Typing with dyslexia
For students who are challenged by handwriting, developing touch typing skills can be life changing. Written work is often laborious and a barrier to achievement; therefore learning to touch type can significantly improve both quantity and quality of written work.
Typing with dyslexia offers a powerful way to learn to spell; spelling becomes a series of patterns and finger movements, becoming muscle memory and this can be a more effective way of learning to spell especially for students with dyslexia.
Why learn to touch type?
- Improve keyboard skills in a computer dominated world
- It doubles your speed and accuracy – more words per minute = more productive
- Improves accuracy
Touch typists make fewer errors in writing text
- Learn to proof-read typing automatically to correct errors
- Saves time (a university student can save over 333 hours of typing instead of handwriting)
- It frees the brain to be creative with ideas and thoughts
- Better posture and positioning – less tension in upper body
- Improved reading and writing boosts self-esteem and confidence
What does a course for children and adults in Taunton include?
- Specialist educational software for students with specific learning difficulties, developed by an Educational Psychologist and designed for the UK curriculum
- Reading and spelling practice
- Strong multi-sensory design (colour coding, written and spoken instructions)
- Fun and engaging weekly lessons
- Self-directed learning to allow students to proceed at own pace
- Structured daily homework to reinforce learning
- Learning independence for dyslexic users
- Fun keyboard games and motivational stickers
Why use this software?
- The touch typing programme is well structured and achieves good results
- Boosts reading, writing and spelling through using structured vocabulary and high frequency words
- Improves typing speed and accuracy
- Extra lessons available to help students with dyslexia improve spelling without a typing tutor
- Students with visual stress may change the background colour
- Games and speed boosting exercises included
- Monitoring of child’s progress
- Certificates are awarded
Access Success Clips
Watch the following film clips to experience a taste of the services on offer from Access Success:
A small selection of quotes from some famous dyslexics, to read the full quotes, please click the button below.
About Alyson and Access Success
I am a specialist teacher and assessor recognised by the Professional Association of Students with Specific Learning Difficulties (PATOSS) and the British Dyslexia Association.
Access Success aims to provide discreet and efficient assessment for specific learning difficulties including dyslexia. Covering the south west area throughout Somerset and Devon, Alyson is always on hand to help. If you would like more information or an informal chat about your requirements or for those of a child then please contact Alyson here.
All information discussed will be treated as private and confidential.